Thursday, 8 April 2010

Equality for women? Undervalued Mums?

Another Friday! Where does the time go? I hope you all enjoyed a lovely Easter and had the lovely weather which we had in Lancashire.... It was so spring like!  In fact so spring like, it inspired me to draw and paint this little creature!

 She is unfinished as yet.............!

Of those of us who are Mums, is there anyone who feels like society undervalues the role of Motherhood?  Out of the Mums who go out to work, I wonder how many of them actually feel that time has moved on in the way it is claimed to have done?  Have we women really got the equality that we have been told we have?

Too often the truth is, that, yes women now have the opportunity to study and achieve jobs that they could have only dreamed of years ago, but it seems to me that a high percentage of women who now work full time are still also carrying out all the 'traditional' chores that they always have done! Ok, a lot of men do help out more, and spend more time with the children, etc., still it would appear that women are multi-tasking big time these days! In fact, what fantastic multi-taskers we women are! I only have to read all the wonderful blogs out there to see what mammoth acheivements are under our noses everyday! Working, selling, crafting, baking, bringing up a new generation...... the list is so long!

Not one of mine!   Sourced from the internet

Some women who work are reported to be suffering a great deal of stress, and can feel guilty that they can not spend more time with their children. Other women who are stay at home Mums often say that they feel under-valued. I know that when I was bringing up the children at home all day, when I did venture out to some adult occasion, one of the first question I was always asked was " and what do you do?" Once I had replied that I was a housewife and looked after children all day, more often than not, they were visibally unimpressed, and could barely stop themselves from yawning!

 OOOH, what do you do? I stay at home and look after the children.......

My sister- in-law agreed with me, telling me that she felt like people suspected that she must be the most uninteresting person in the world. Believe me, she is not, and never will be!  Why is such importance put on title and salary, and why does someone have to be making money to be considered worthwhile to others? After all even Mums who don't go out to work are still working...hard!

 Sourced from the internet!

Besides being very hard work, bringing up children, in my opinion, whether you work or not, is the most important and rewarding job you could possibly do, so why is it not regarded more highly. What could be more wonderful than nurturing a tiny child into an adult, giving them as good an experience as we can, making sure that they have a childhood to look back on with warmth. I have mentioned before, but George and I adopted our three children, and from the start, due their ages and other issues, the social worker preferred me to be a stay at home Mum, so that is what I did. I enjoyed all the domesticity and cosiness of home, but I do understand that not all of us are the same. Some women love their jobs, and others go to work through necessity. A lot of women work these days, perhaps most,  so taking into the consideration the fact that a lot of women do go out to work.............

.................What about the media?  Why are we still being bombarded with adverts on the TV which  show women dusting, and hoovering, and carrying out all the 'traditional' domesticated tasks.   Why not men?  Little girls are still bombarded by the media with images of domesticity,  and boys still with guns, fighting and action!



In my first marriage, I had no children but worked full time, and yet I was still expected to wash, iron, cook, clean, shop, etc. One of the things that would really grate on me was that although we both worked full time, and on occasion, I often worked longer hours, It was I who had to tend to the household management and when things were not done, eyes did not look toward my husband as the rather shabby housekeeper,  oh no! They looked towards me! His Mother would have looked down on me, but my Mother would have encouraged me to go on strike!

                                                How True!.......................................................

He could always get away with lolling inert on the sofa! Have things really changed that much since I wonder? I would like to say yes, but have they?  What do you think? Some men now really do take on a more hands on approach to the children and home.... but how many stragglers are there still out there? Quite a few I suspect! For the women who have a straggler in their lives and who also work, they now have more workload than their pre-women's movement ladies! As they now have a full-time job too, as well as all those chores! Yes, we do now have labour saving devices, but even so ! .........

One of my stitcheries

Whatever we choose to do, or have no choice, work, stay at home or a mix of the two, society should value our mothers so much more!  I really should have posted this for Mother's Day!

Before I go again, I would like to thank Tracey, my lovely friend and partner in laughing out loud at what life throws us for this very  happily recieved award!


I am supposed to tell you all  seven things about me that you may not already know. Hmmmm, there are some, but I think I will not! Ha ha!

 Ok then!
1:  I still suck my thumb! Yup!
2:  I am double-jointed and can get in a lotus position, but these days... I may not get out of it again!
3: My wolf whistles, which I learnt from the boy next door when I was 14, can echo for what seems like miles across hill and dale.
4: I like eating left over takeaway curry for breakfast... Oh yes, I do.
5: When I was little I wanted a monkey as a pet so much that I made up a story to my Mum, that the man next door had one... and she told everybody that he had. Then I had to go and tell them all that he did not!
6: When I was little I used to make friends with children who nobody wanted to be friends with. One little girl smelled so bad, but I persevered and tryed to pretend I couldn't smell anything! But it was awful! It was dire! But I wanted her to feel loved, so I sat listening to her and trying not to inhale!
7: I am actually a real loner, and can go for long periods of time without seeking out any ones company at all, but heres the twist... I am a really friendly person and love people! I even suspect that there are people who have known me for years who don't  realise I could actually become a real recluse or hermit, and be happy!

Here are my nominees! I really almost didn't choose anyone as I find it so hard! I don't like to at all!

The Girl
Mummy mad
Valerie
Dee
MMB
Jacqueline


And everyone else too..Please take this award!

Also a big thank you to my lovely, and caring friend Jacqueline who has dedicated this lovely post to me! All about the fight to survive the dreadful disease that breast cancer is. Thank you  so much, you are such a warm and beautiful soul!

Anyway all you lovelies, have a wonderful and happy weekend, and I shall be catching up with you as soon as I can do! 

Lots of love  Suzie xxx