Friday, 2 October 2009

Fairy wings, bubble gum melon and cock-eyed optimists!

Happy October everybody! Hope you all had a lovely week? Now, let me ask you all a question! Do you believe in fairies?




The Fairy Godmother from the Wizard of Oz. Picture sourced from the internet.


When I was a child  I believed in fairies (hmmm, maybe I still do!) I mentioned in another post, how I used to lie in bed, with my eyes slightly open, feigning sleep, hoping to fool the little flittery creatures into believing I was asleep. They would think it was safe you see, to fly about my bedroom sprinkling their magic fairy dust, and I would at last see them!
I am afraid to say that too much of my time was spent on otherworldy pre-occupations, so much so, that my report card from school would repeat again and again, that I would do so much better if I would only stop daydreaming quite so much! My little mind was full of magic toadstools, fairies and goblins. Perhaps I read too many Enid Blyton books! Also, I would doodle and draw, so yet again I was carried away from the real world into the world of my imagination.


Now who wouldn't want to go here? Sourced from the internet.

When we lived in Canada the first time, I became a brownie. Like all brownies I had to become a fully fledged one, and attend a becoming a true brownie ceremony. We prepared for weeks for the big night, and we were all told in no uncertain terms that on no condition were we to look, not even peek, behind the curtain up on the stage. Only on the night would we see what was behind the curtain. Well, my imagination set in, I was so excited! Of course, there would be red spotted toadstools, goblins, fairies, magical creatures busily going about their day, fairy godmothers who would give magical powers and gifts. And maybe, oooh, maybe even an enchanted tree!



My little toadstool fairy cross stitch design.

As the day approached I got more and more excited, such wonderful and exciting surprises were being promised from behind that curtain. Who would have believed that behind that boring, ordinary looking curtain there were such delights!  And, weren't they all being so quiet, so good!
The night before the magical day I could hardly sleep at all,  almost beside myself with excitement.
At last the night of the ceremony arrived. Obviously as soon as we new brownies  had made our oaths it would trigger off some kind of magic. We each in turn said the words that had so painstakingly been learnt over the last few weeks, and then it was time for the curtain to be opened. I stood with baited breath. The curtain inched open, bit by bit, I could just make out some shadows in the semi- darkness of the stage, but no sparkly lights or glittery fairy dust yet.  I watched intently. The curtain pulled open some more.......and I saw...........I saw........... an owl.........and what is that? .......a toadstool? yes! ..........No, wait a minute.........What did I see?  ............ A plastic owl leaning precariously to the side, stuck onto a plastic toadstool by a wire! Where was the magic? Where were the fairies?  I felt very disappointed indeed!





  My brother and I, in Canada, taking our uniforms very seriously!


Did my first early disappointment in life change my belief and sense of wonder?  Nah!  Of course not!

 I beleive that as adults we still have a part ( a big part) of the child we were still in us. When I was in hospital and I was vunerable and frightened, I had a dream one night, a beautiful dream. A child from way off in the distance, came skipping towards me, playful and full of energy. I watched her approach, I wondered who this innocent little girl was. Did I know her? She came right up to me smiling and took both my hands in hers and gently pulled me towards her. She told me to go with her and play. As I rose to my feet I wondered once again who was this child, she looked familiar. And then it struck me......it was me! The child that I was, the child who was made of  innocence, belief and trust,  had come to look after me in my hour of need, to comfort me and make me feel better! We ran to the forest of my childhood and played, running free through the trees, happy and safe. It was such a magical dream, and felt so real, just imagine playing with your own child-self!


Yes I know! After last weeks blog, showing me in my sunday best.. this is what I looked like the rest of the time, I loved climbing trees and running free, and usually, when Mum wasn't looking, with no shoes on!

Everytime after that dream , if I was facing something to dread, like a scan or a test, I would go back to the forest in my mind, and daydream again like a child! It really helped me, and it was good to be somewhere beautiful, when you are actually not! That dream has also helped me to remember, that no matter what happens to me in life, that little girl can not be taken away, that there is always that place to go to, untouched by this life, my safe haven.

Anyway, the fact that there was nothing to see behind that curtain, did not put a stop to my beliefs, I still believed with all my heart, that somewhere, somehow I would find  that Magical Kingdom!


This video is just lovely!


I still laid in bed at night waiting to peek at the fairies. I still sat each day at school yawning and gazing out of the window daydreaming! That is probably why my brother nicknamed me raccoon features, because of the dark rings under my eyes! Brothers are great.  By the way, I still look like a raccoon!

You see, I guess I have never quite grown up. I did promise myself when I was ten years old that I would never change, I would be like Peter Pan! I stood near to where I lived in Nova Scotia, and I said out loud, from this day on, I will never change!  To a large extent I think I have been faithful to that promise to myself!  I am not by any means a Pollyanna, I know by experience that life is not always a bowl of cherries, but I am a cock-eyed optimist!



I love this song, I have been singing it to myself for years! Hee hee, I think I will try this in the garden!


I have learnt that true magic comes from deep within ourselves. It has been there all the time. There is no need for proof. Although, having said that, I wouldnt half mind seeing a fairy!

“Every time you say you don’t believe in fairies, a fairy dies.” – Peter Pan

Finally, Here is where I am up to this week with my Christmas stocking!



Coming along nicely I think, I hope!  Click on it , if you wish a more detailed view!

Also, have a look at this! Ok, its not a huge yield, but I am pleased!  The melon was gorgeous, it actually tasted like bubble gum! We only managed to grow one, very small  marrow, and before you, think "gosh is that the pumpkin she keeps mentioning?" NO! it is certainly not!  It is a very small squash of some sort! Pumpkin is still waiting in the garden for his big Halloween debut!




Well thats all for another week,  a week that has been a sad one in the news with the earthquake in Sumatra / Samoa.  So so sad. It certainly makes me realise how lucky I am, safe at home, cup of tea in hand and happily sewing away.


I wish you all a lovely weekend and look forward to catching up with all your wonderful posts!

So until next Friday, Listen out for tiny bells, because everytime you hear a bell, a fairy gets it's wings!

Love to you all, Suzie. xxx :)